The MongoDB development team is pleased to announce the release of version 2.0.0. Version 2.0 is the latest stable release, following the March 2011 release of version 1.8. This release includes many new features, improvements to existing features, and performance enhancements.
Please note version 2.0 is a significant new release, but is 2.0 solely because 1.8 + 0.2 = 2.0; for example the upgrade from 1.6 to 1.8 was similar in scope.
Highlights of the 2.0 release:
- Concurrency improvements
- Index enhancements to improve size and performance
- Authentication with sharded clusters
- Replica Set Data Center Awareness
- Journaling is now enabled by default. Journal files are now compressed.
- User defined getLastError options
- Smaller default stack size to accommodate more connections
- Compact Command
- Multi-location documents
- Polygon searches
- Output map/reduce results to sharded collection